Thursday, April 9, 2015

Words vs. Pictures

I watched this movie awhile ago called Words and Pictures-I loved it.  Have you seen it?

Clive Owen and Juliette Brioche play two school teachers.  They have their own problems, but daily they inspire their students.   The film was made in Vancouver, Canada-shout out to Sherry, who lives there. It is suggested in the film, they are in my state of Maine.   The premise is words vs art.  Two teachers begin a playful taunt that leads to the school taking sides...what is more meaningful words or art?     The English teacher recites beautiful lines in the English language-the Art teacher states the obvious. 
"A picture is worth a thousand words."  *****



                     

These days I actually prefer Indie flicks.  I love the quirky real life feel and how people deal with their gifts and obstacles.   Lately, I am disappointed with the big box office flicks-that make me feel  like I have wasted my time and money.   I know not all big blockbusters do this-but many do. 


So, your challenge is to combine words and art.    For the art part-I want you to pen a poem about a piece of art that moves us.   It can be something famous, something a child made for you or a loved one, or  it can be a carved bar of soap.  It just has to move you in a profound way.  Your poem will gives us insight to the 'why'!     Please give credit to the artist-you have selected.

 For the word part-I want a quote that reflects a sentiment of the art.  I mean if you really can't find one think of Mary Oliver's  "Instructions for Life:  Pay Attention.  Be astonished.  Tell about it."  

I look forward to your poetic penned Masterpieces~

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Listen, I feel this poem is pretty bad (and I'm sorry about that - might go back and revise at some point) but I just got so excited and overwhelmed when I started reading about this guy... Take the time to watch the video, at least if you've never heard of John Bramblitt. And thank you for a prompt that made me find a wonderful artist.

Gillena Cox said...

i apologize for the multi posting the first is good, didnt see it for some reason, reposted, and that was the wrong link, then reposted again, only to refresh and see 3 postings

Apologies

much love...

Marian said...

It's snowing here, gah.

21 Wits said...

How ever did I not hear about this movie! Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I had not heard of the movie either and I love Juliette Binoche. Thanks for the prompt, Ella. Smiles.

Ella said...

You all make me smile! Marian, sorry about the snow...maybe it is an April Fool and won't last~

I have an appointment and will return to write and visit~

Thank you!

Hannah said...

Ella!! This was a challenge indeed! Thank you, for the mental stretch...LOVED it!

Sanaa Rizvi said...

Hello everyone,

Hope you like my haiku for today's prompt! :D
xoxo

Kerry O'Connor said...

Thank you for the wonderful and multi-layered challenge.

Jim said...

Very nice prompt, Ella. Thank you. I had some snaps of Masters from Paris and other museums but went for a "mobile" painting instead.
I'll read yours soon too, getting anxious but doing income tax also.
..

Buddah Moskowitz said...

Here's my attempt, with apologies to Klimt.

Ella said...

Thank you, everyone! I wish I would write ahead of my own prompts-but I never do. Then I struggled and giggled~ I fear mine sounds like a sappy romance rag. Sorry, but I do hope I inspired you~

Susie Clevenger said...

Ella, such a wonderful challenge. I always seem to be the late one, but I make it!

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I think I broke the rules, writing at length about why I chose the art work and not describing it in words at all. I also think it's a fairly pedestrian poem. And yet I'm glad to have written it.

Other Mary said...

Why was this so hard for me? No idea, but I just finished, and I won't get to read everyone's until tomorrow night. I love the idea of this, and I'm excited to read these. Thanks for the prompt!

Outlawyer said...

Hey Ella--I'm so tired and getting late returning visits but will have more time this weekend! k.

grapeling said...

not quite sure if it met what you were looking for, but offered anyways ~

Susan said...

This novie is wonderful (except for the predictable parts).

Ella said...

Thank you, everyone for playing along!

Susan-Yes, but disease does have that predictable factor~ The roller coaster emotions-but I love how the students embraced the best and worst of their teachers-they admired and loved!!

Grape-I loved yours, but for different reasons~ Exposure, the madness of only being smitten with a likeness, not the real!

Karin-You brought it, with mud and blood~ Haunting, as it should be!

Other Mary-It happens! I think we hope our blurred, blend edges are our new favorite~ I liked your approach-you always make me ponder, see layers within. You have a knack of one line making me go, "Damn, I wish I thought of that."

Rosemary-Yours was filled with heart-wonderful! Sentiment and sweetness lingering in your words~
There was no wrong way, to do this challenge. You could use the quote in anyway you liked~

Susie-Thank you! Late seems to be my middle name these days~ I am glad you joined in! I was not familiar with this art or the tale behind in...wow!

Ella said...

Buddah-I loved that we picked the same piece of art! I mentioned on your blog-how this poster I had was suppose to go to my daughter. We moved her last week to a tiny nook in the mountains. I found it yesterday and knew I had to write about it~

Jim-Go, do your taxes! I loved that you went outside of the box car! Art is all around us and you took us there-well done!

Kerry-Thank you, for allowing me to be part of the Garden's magic!
I loved all the poems-words vs. pictures exposed~

Sanaa-I am so happy you joined in~

Hannah-Your gift was as fluid as your floating flowers-

Sherry-You surprised me~ Wild Woman exposed her wildflower beauty~

Karen-I don't know?! It happens sometimes-probably not a lot of $pent on marketing.

Marian-Snow art! That could have worked~

Gillena-You had hiccups-it happens! Glad, you joined in~

Susan said...

Late, and not exactly as expected.