Friday, June 14, 2013

Artistic Interpretations with Margaret "Cowboy Poetry" (Photography byMerri Meide of "The Equestrian Vagabond")


The cowboy is a symbol of America's wild, western frontier, a rugged man set in the past, with an image steeped in intrigue and a history that has reached mythical proportions.  Today's cowboy bears some resemblance to his predecessor, but a lot has changed.

Instead of leading you around by the belt buckle, I am setting you free to explore the vast terrain of cowboy poetry.  An artist or a poem I admire may not be your "cup of tea" - or should I say "flask of whiskey"?


Few people imagine the rugged cowboy reciting, let alone writing, poetry.  Truth is, it has been going on for over a century.  Traditional examples of cowboy poetry are rhymed and metered, reflecting the world in which the cowboy lives.


Jack "Trey" Allen's poem, "What It Is"  “HERE” does a fine job explaining the nuances of what cowboy poetry is.


The "Bar-D Ranch" offers an index of cowboy poetry "HERE". (cursor down past the Sponsors to the "Index of Poems and Songs"  Have fun exploring these poets.  All are copyrighted and I didn't have permission to post here.  I assure you, if you take the time, you will fast find numerous favorites.  I hope they inspire you.  If you find a poet that tickles your fancy, be sure to link it for us to enjoy as well.


My Toad's, I invite you to write cowboy or .... cowgirl Poetry.  !!   .......SLIDING STOP ---


COWGIRL poetry?  Partner, you heard me correctly.  It is alive and well.  Click on the following title to read one of my personal favorites: "All That is Left", by "cowgirl" poet Virginia Bennett (cursor to the top to read about her - this link showcases her poetry).


Amblin' over to another site, I truly enjoyed the "Women of the Wild West".  Their poem "Big Boobs Ain't So Hot" will surely turn the corner of your lips.


Today's challenge is to write your own "Cowboy/girl Poetry", but unless you walk in boots dirty with manure, live in the West, and follow meter and rhyme, your poetry will be considered "contemporary" at best - or simply, not authentic.


 Therefore, I am calling our poetry "Cowboy Poetry LITE".


Don't you LOVE the FABULOUS photography?  It has been shared here with permission by Merri Melde, a horse photographer, writer, photojournalist, artist, and endurance horse rider - just to name a few of this amazing woman's accomplishments (I don't think she writes poetry, but maybe she will surprise us).  I have followed her blog for quite a while now, "The Equestrian Vagabond" and her photography site "The Equestrian Vagabond".


Write in any style you please.  It doesn't have to be in the traditional rhythm and rhyme.  Let your creativity ride the wind.  What you MUST do is write an original poem using one of Merri Melde's images shared here.  Factual historical themes relating to the west of yesterday are perfect, as are poems featuring daily life of the modern cowboy/girl or ranch hand.  One may even contemplate the terrain - just be sure to tie it all in to our theme.


I challenge you who have never tried on a cowboy hat to imagine (research by all means) a poem and bring something to feed and warm our minds 'round the ol' campfire (a.k.a. Mr. Linky).

Write as many poems, use as many images as you like.  Remember, we always have "Open Link Monday" and I warmly embrace late entries.


Again, all poetry must be original and written for this prompt.  Please include the name of our wonderful photographer, Merri Melde, and link to her website and blog if you use her photography on your blog.  I look forward to your Artistic Interpretations of Cowboy Poetry LITE.





28 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

Yee-haw. I grew up in central British Columbia, when cowboys and ranchers rubbed elbows with orchardists and the rest of us just admired all of them, heaps and bunches.
Now I live in Alberta, cowboy capital of Canada.
Have busy-busy plans for tomorrow but will be thinking about poems about cowboys, maybe the one who...or the time I...well, I'll think of something.
A very interesting challenge, Margaret!
K

Jinksy said...

There's a lot of identical linky boxes around today! Hehehe! Can't ignore 'em...
I enjoyed a morning wearing my cowboy hat...

Fireblossom said...

CowGIRLS! *sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh*

:-)

Janine Bollée said...

A bit heavy on the linkies this morning :-)

Love, love those pictures.
And the 'cow-persons' culture you describe.
Unless you would accept a 'ti steed' [ my titanium bikes], I can't partake with personal experience.
Fab post, Margaret.

Margaret said...

...Aprille! That is the whole point of "Cowboy Poetry LITE.

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear...

Put on an invisible hat and IMAGINE.

Take advantage of the links and start to feel the nuances of cowboy poetry.

EVERYONE - as stated in my post, our poetry will not be "authentic" cowboy poetry since most of us don't live in the west -

I hope you come back, Aprille, and give it a try :)

Margaret said...

A SHOUT OUT to Kerry... I cannot see where I have two linky's. I deleted the five or six extra ones that popped up, but I have NO idea what is going on. I have looked at the coded html and I am afraid to delete Jinksy's link.

I ONLY see one. If you can figure it out, please do!

Marian said...

what a great prompt!! love it, Margaret. yee-haw!

Susie Clevenger said...

Love the prompt Margaret! What beautiful photography..I will be late on the trail today, but I will get there!

Kerry O'Connor said...

I have fixed the linky situation (I hope) and relinked Jinksy's post. If anyone linked up after her please relink your post on the new Linky.

Many thanks for this intriguing prompt, Margaret and my personal thanks to Merri for sharing her amazing images with us today.

Susan said...

Wonderful! I had a great morning browsing Merri's entire site, reading all the poems, watching the video and researching a bit on how horses see color, close up and far. My own cowboy hat and boots are way back in my closet. I have talked to and curried horses, but never owned or ridden one. Back when I was ten, I think I rather wished to be one. Thank you, Margaret, for sharing your loves of horses, photography and poetry. (This comment is longer than my poem.)

Ella said...

I might be able to cowgirl up...
off to take photography downtown-it is for an article and I'll be back.
I have missed writing...and reading
poetry!

Margaret said...

Wieczorama - fotografie - I have deleted your link as it had nothing to do with the prompt. If you have a poem for this challenge, please select the correct link so we can all enjoy it. Thank you.

Helen said...

... I'm an old cowhand, etc, etc.

hedgewitch said...

Love the topic, Margaret. You know I have been a secret cowgirl all my life, despite being born in Chicago. ;_) I've heard some fine recited cowboy poetry--it reminds me a lot of Western folksongs, pre-Country & Western pop. Will see if anything bubbles up.

Anonymous said...

Such a great topic for focus on a Friday!
It was wonderful to see the photos & to be inspired by one in particular.
Also, found a great overview video link through Zemanta that I added at the bottom of my post.
Have a springy weekend All!

Margaret said...

I posted a second one and am working on a third. Remember, I embrace multiple AND late entries!

Fireblossom said...

Laffin @ Helen singing one of my favorite songs...

Thanks, Margaret, for saying latebirds are welcome. :-) I love this challenge and want to do it!

Marian said...

I'm with Shay, wanna do this one, maybe this weekend?

Margaret said...

HONESTLY ... This prompt should take a few days as reading some of the links will truly ground you in what is expected of true Cowboy Poetry. And one must try and weave the daily world of the west into the poem as well... which I know I have to research. The two poems I did, I barely scratched the surface - hence "Cowboy Poetry LITE" for me. :)

If you post late, be sure to comment so I will get an email notification! Thanks.

Hannah said...

Thank you, Margaret!! This is such a vivid post!! I love all the images and "All that is Left," is AMAZING!!

Busy couple of days coming up and this day's nearing an end...if I start this now it'll be two hours before I hit the hay and the sun rises early for me tomorrow. ;)

Still, great challenge, Margaret!! :) Happy weekend everyone!

Hannah said...

Oh, just reading back comments...maybe a Monday poem from me if it works out right! :)

hedgewitch said...

I'm not sure what baby clothes have to do with this post, Kwok Wai Wu. I would say you are....a spambot.

Okay folks, I've come up with something--and also posted my two favorite cowboy songs from ancient days. I will be around to read and visit after I am fully coffee'd up.

Maggie Grace said...

I did it...a rhyming poem! Inspired by my recent trek to Sedona :)

Margaret said...

Maggie Grace. Sedona is stunning. Rhyming is something I always admire as it does not come easy for me- not yet anyway. I am allowing you to stay linked even though you did not use Merri Melde's photography. I know it was an honest over-site. :)

Margaret said...

Joy, "Kwok" has been given the boot. Thanks

Fireblossom said...

Okay, Ms. Margaret, I am late to the party, but have truly done my best for you, because I *love* this challenge, and besides, you are one of my favorite Toads. if you see Sebastian, tell him Shay says "Hi!"

I may write again for this challenge, if something pops into my fluff-filled head. I think that one of the coolest things about Toads challenges is that they aren't one-and-done. People keep coming back for a few days. It lends itself to better writing and closer reading. :-)

PS--laffin @ Hedge gettin' all coffee'd up. I can just picture it.

Margaret said...

Thank you for participating when it was a busy weekend for so many with Father's Day. I was busy all day and just now quickly checked in...

See you Monday! (Ha - that's today) OK - see you in a few hours.

Margaret said...

Shay - I will be posting some photos of Sebastian on my horse blog within a week or so. He is a gorgeous and sweet boy. Five years old now and filling out.