Friday, October 7, 2011

A Word with Laurie

The word for today is (your) NAME.

Last Saturday I had the privilege of meeting Robert Lee Brewer, editor of Poet’s Market and Writer’s Market, author of the popular Writer’s Digest blog Poetic Asides, husband and father (just to name a few of his multifarious titles). I discovered that he is tall, has a deep resonating voice and is as kind and easy to talk to as Andy Griffith (but much younger). It was amazing to visit with Robert and experience his poetry reading. I have also had the opportunity to meet other poets such as Linda Evans Hofke and Paula Wanken, and can now hear their voices and imagine their demeanors when I communicate with them over the web.

Many of us meet at various poetry sites such as Imaginary Garden with Real Toads and proceed to visit one another's blogs, but we don’t know much about the people behind the screens. It's like we are on a tour of homes; we take delight in the atmosphere, but miss out on meeting the host/hostess. Wouldn’t it be nice if we had the opportunity to step into the kitchen and meet the cook? Well, that is exactly what I have planned for today.

What I’d like you to do is find the meaning of your first name on zelo.com (click here) and use it in a poem. Perhaps you might want to write a poem about what makes you unique, or an acrostic using your sobriquet. Maybe you would prefer using your nom de plume. You can combine all of these ideas or come up with your own; just incorporate something about your name in your piece. I can’t wait to finally meet YOU.

14 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Another fresh idea to get the brain cells into gear. Thanks Laurie.

Laurie Kolp said...

Your welcome, Kerry!

Sherry Blue Sky said...

Intriguing prompt!

Anonymous said...

Hi Laurie...can't do this at this very moment...but will be back!

I, too, enjoyed the pleasure of meeting you (and Linda) this summer and also thoroughly enjoy hearing the voice behind your wonderful words.

NEXT time, I WILL join you for any adventure such as you had when meeting Robert. :)

~Paula

Peggy said...

I am not sure my poem says much about me--maybe I am just a mystery. I guess we all are built of the layers of our experiences in the world so I feel like I kind of cheated on this one and did not really say much about me. I am really just an ordinary person.

cosmos cami said...

A great exercize. Hi, I'm new thanks to runaway sentence.

Marian said...

YAY COSMOS CAMI IS HERE! woo hoo!

Anonymous said...

Ok, my blog is quillfyre, and it's quite new. This is my first exercise, and I added in some numerology stuff to flesh out the name definition. Perhaps a silly poem all in all!

Thanks, Kay, for your help!
Carol

Laurie Kolp said...

Paula- It's okay. Take care. Smiles.

Welcome Quillfyre!

Kerry O'Connor said...

It's wonderful to see new people joining in the fun at Real Toads. All are welcome - great to meet you.

Philip Thrift said...

Great prompt.
"Nomen est omen?"

Fireblossom said...

What a good idea, to do names! Mine is up. :-)

Mary Ann Potter said...

I'm having connectivity/linking problems. The only link that works connects to my blog, not to the page where my submissions are. So just click under my blog header where it says "Magpie Tales and Starcatcher Poetry." Wish I knew how to do a better link...

Daydreamertoo said...

What an interesting prompt from you.
Glad to take part in it. Never knew my name meant 'sword' :)
Thank you.